Saturday, December 30, 2006

Buenos Aires, Day 4

For some reason, all of the McDonald signs we’ve spotted on our walks through Buenos Aires the last couple of days had us craving a breakfast sandwich. We woke up at our usual late time, as we never can seem to wrap up dinner before 11pm around here, and headed to McDonalds. It’s amazing how McDonalds is represented in other countries besides the US, let’s just say it’s a bit more classy…same stuff, different marketing angle. Well, they didn’t have breakfast sandwiches, they had their usual Argentinean croissant and coffee. The only thing close to a breakfast sandwich was a roll/sourdough bun with egg and cheese. Not so good, I can easily say that’ll be my last McDonalds in quite some time as we are now in the land of great food.

Our next stop was a little coffee shop as we had slept through our breakfast hour at the hotel. A late morning led us out into the streets on a search for ski gloves (yes, we desperately need them when it rains and cold outside!), a pair of shoes for Mike and a festive Argentinian necklace. On a side note, the woman here love their big and chunky necklaces, you rarely see a woman walking down the street without a giant and bold accessory hanging from her neck. So while in BA, I figured I’d be BA and buy myself one for our New Year outing.

It is Saturday, so we didn’t anticipate having any troubles with the stores, but to our surprise, most of everything was shut down! It didn’t make sense to us. Only a few cafes or restaurants were open amongst the several shops with closed doors. After inquiring we learned that most stores are not open on Saturday, and if so, usually only half day. I guess everyone does there shopping around here on weekdays! Thus, we had no success with gloves or shoes for Mike. I guess he’ll be trying to get away with flip flops at tomorrow nights show! As far as my quest, success, I got a great green long necklace with giant puffy green balls on it; perfect for the occasion! To spice myself up a bit more I bought a lipstick. That is my best attempt at making myself look as much feminine as possible, something I think I crave a bit after dressing up in a gigantic masculine moto outfit on an almost daily basis. I sure miss looking feminine!

I also would like to mention some more fashion trends of BA and Argentina in general that I’ve noticed and are quite amazing to me. Duck Tails. Need I say more? Well, more like a mullet/duck tail/Mohawk. Yes, most young men are sporting a combination of that around these parts. I think it’s the latest Soccer look possibly? I’ve been meaning to capture some photos, hopefully I can get a few for our readers! Mike’s new haircut sure makes him look like a tourist in these parts! I love it…

Mike and I are expecting quite a festivity for New Years as I believe they have already started the celebrations as we’ve seen a ton of paper pieces laid about the streets and flying through the air. I believe it is the Argentineans old work calendars, being ripped and tossed from the window in a ritual which let’s them let go of last year before entering the New Year. This is only my guess…but it’s quite a site. I just feel sorry for the street cleaners!

We wandered and walked all over the city again today. Bought a couple books, ate some more steak and enjoyed having yet another day for rest, relaxation and taking in this lovely city. We’re enjoying our time in BA!
free site statistics