Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The End of the Adventure, Santiago Chile

Amie’s Parting Words
Our adventuring has come to an end. Yes, that is right; we are departing South America, land of adventure, and continuing our travels to other regions of the world.

Back when this trip was just an idea, a thought that Mike and I entertained with excitement, I can say now that I had not a single clue what was ahead of us. A lot had to be accomplished to make this happen, and I truly believe we are very lucky to have all the cards laid just right so that our dream did become a reality. The trip was a very vague concept requiring much mental and physical work even before we set out on the road. Not quite knowing what was ahead, but strongly continuing with curiosity and freedom as our only fuel we persevered. I would almost say that the mental aspect of changing our lives to focus around only one thing, the trip, was the hardest thing for me. I had slowly grown into a life which was very comfortable and enjoyable. I loved my life, but I had to change everything about it and give up so much for this trip with no real expectations or knowledge of what I was going towards.

Once on the road, a whole new set of challenges hit me. I remember on the second day of riding realizing that I didn’t have a phone or a vehicle which I could control and I was completely dependant on Mike. I have gone through several painful withdrawals in which I desperately miss my family and friends. I have been in extremely uncomfortable situations where I have realized I don’t have any other option than sucking it up and pressing on. I have been hungry. I have been so hot that I felt I couldn’t even hold myself up, so cold that I felt I may loose my fingers. I have had the worst stomach pains, diarrhea and food poisoning. I have gotten filthy. I have broken down and wondered why I would ever put myself in the situation I was in. The list goes on and on, but throughout all the aches and pains I have had the most wonderful time of my life. I have seen so many different cultures, met so many different people, gazed upon some of the most unique and beautiful sites, become closer friends with Mike, have done some amazing things and lastly I have completed a huge accomplishment in my life. It feels great and I can say now that I am a changed person. For those of you who have dreams of adventuring, I greatly encourage you to make it happen. Anything is possible with ambition and effort.

I would still consider the rest of our journey an ‘adventure’ if Yoshita was to be a part of it, but over much discussion and time, we have made the decision to ship her home and continue our travels with backpacks. The reason for this conclusion are as follows: the cost of shipping her to Australia and Turkey, the great hassles of importing and exporting her in the various countries ahead of us, my desire to be able to help with the driving, my desire for a break from the saddle… the list goes on. I know Mike is a bit disappointed, but also strongly understands and agrees with the reasons, namely the first two. We are going to continue to the countries we originally set out to see, but utilize airplanes and rental cars to get around. I know we will still run across many adventures and great stories, but I do not think it will be as often and therefore our daily blog will not be continued.

We will post occasional stories and pictures to “Part II” at mikeandamie.blogspot.com for those that are interested.

Mike's Parting Words
I’ll never look at a globe the same.

This trip hasn’t been easy, but it hasn’t been impossible. If you are dreaming of doing something like this I would advise you to stop dreaming and start planning. 5 months traversing the Americas by motorcycle will cost you between 10-20K, a lot less than you would expect I bet. That is all inclusive, bike, flight home, shipping of the moto, everything. If you really want it, just do it (sorry Nike). Really, plan it, work towads it and do it. This trip has made me think its just that easy (because it is).

It was the best of times it was the worst of times. It was trying, not always fun (often we asked ourselves why are we doing this? Are we crazy?) almost never comfortable… but the worst memories soon become the best. I’ve come away with a new perspective, focus, appreciation, and confidence—not to mention an incredible bonding experience with my wife.

We said to eachother before we left “This will make or break our relationship.” Honestly, I felt like our relationship was already “made” but a bit nervous that 5 months together, 24 hours a day, through tough times might strain the relationship to a point where we might not be able to recover. But I decided we needed to do this, especially now. If we can survive this together, we are ready to start a family together. Maybe a bit more rigorous than other couples trials…

One of the biggest eye openers for me has been in regards to the perspective of time. Four and a half months at home, in the routine, goes by in the blink of an eye. There are birthday parties, a BBQ or two, maybe something a bit more exciting, but really, not all that much happens and everyone just grinds through the days, weeks, and months. For a bit of sacrifice, Amie and I were able to live, really live, for 4.5 months, and it felt like we’ve lived years—experiencing things you couldn’t experience in a thousand weekends.

Thanks
We want all of our fans and readers of the blog to know that you have all made our trip so much more enjoyable and have been the ones that inspired and encouraged us to keep up the journal so diligently. We have felt our friends, family and interested persons are almost right there with us, sharing our adventures as well as misadventures. It has kept us from profound homesickness and encouraged us to keep going during trying times. Thank you all!

We also would like to thank Brian for generously giving us the only ipod which has brought us music on our entire journey (after Amie managed to destroy it in Mexico); We don’t know what we’d do without such a generous gift! Also, thank you for the compression sack as we use it everyday! Thanks to Keith for bringing out all kinds of goodies to us in Ecuador (Yosh thanks you too)! Thank you mom (Pele) for providing us so many delicious snacks that have saved us many times and taking care of our red tape while away! Thank you Aunt Debbie for taking care of our baby, Candy, so well while we are away, we don´t know how we would do all of this without you! Thanks you Grandma M for hosting a wonderful Bon Voyage party for us. Thank you to Tornincasas for the great sendoff and mini vacation in Ensenada; great times. Thank you Gina and Tariq for taking such good care of our house while we are away. Thank you Adam Pate for being a great travel friend and contributing to the many great memories on the trip. Lastly we would like to thank Adam and Valerie for the inspiration of this whole trip.

Gear Review
Coming soon...

Lessons Learned-Tips
Coming soon...

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No ... thank you! For all your postings and let us read about your adventures. I have told many of my friends and family about your motorcycle adventure blog. Now, I'll follow along on the new posts.

Brent

4:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's a shame that you have decided to leave the bike behind and move on by foot. We are in the planning stages of a trip heading the other direction to you and it would have been interesting meeting up with you and your bike along the way, once you hit Turkey!

Thanks for all the details of your trip so far it has made for very interesting reading when planning our trip and trying to decide on the bike to take. The DL650 seems to have kept you moving reasonably comfortably (within reason!)

Happy travels.
Ben.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Thanks for all the great posts. I have really appreciated the great reading during my lunchtime at work. I came here from ADVRider and I have really enjoyed reading your posts. I have enjoyed your points of view on places I have visited and the descriptions of places I have yet to visit.

Just because you have moved off the motorcycle, don't think your experiences are any less interesting for those who are following your blogs. An adventure is an adventure no matter how you are traveling.

One comment from someone who has been to a few of the countries left on your trip, make sure to take advantage of the public transportation like buses and trains. They are cheap and will take you to places you wouldn't otherwise see. Especially the trains in New Zealand.

Good luck and thanks!

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So long Pedro y Maria. Buena suerte! Viva Yoshita!

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant comment, im all busted up..

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys! I´m glad to see you made it through! Like you said Brazil is Amazing. I´m spending a month and a half in Florianopolis and then i´ll keep riding north. I´ll check out your new blog! Take care!

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pedro & Maria,
I loved your stories and I'll miss reading about the craziness. Your last words made me teary eyed and saying goodbye to Yoshita choked me up too! I'll miss this blog but I definitely look forward to seeing photos of you guys in New Zealand, Turkey, Greece, Italy, etc...boy - you guys have a wonderful life! I believe what Mike said completely...If you want it, just do it!
Miss you and I'm looking forward to June 13th!!!!


Love,
gene

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys!
Thanks for all the pics and posts. Good luck on the rest of your trip and above all, have a great time.
See you guys in June!

Diego

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ll never look at a globe the same. In deed my friend the road is a vast magical land full of nachos as bigs as your asS where ron flows into cocktail glasses of cuba libres. We have talk about riding the dream and we have done it!! You guys hAve helped me along the way so much, thank you for everything.. the journey is the key. I must end on a quote from a wise man, a maestro. ¨

"Where you been and where you going? the road is a beautiful place, you either love it or hate it, but if you love it, its a beautiful place." LARRY AUSTIN

l, ap

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great udates on your adventure through SA. You are both teriffic writters and I always looked forward to reading your latest expliots. I'm deeply sadden to hear Yosh is headed back home. I own a 2004 650 Vstrom (unnamed as of yet) and plan to take it on a trip with my wife to Copper Canyon Mexico next month. Best of luck to both of you on your next adventure!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Well said. See you in the promised land. Arrivederci, baby!

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Thanks for sharing your adventure-- it was quite interesting and inspiring. Also, it provided amusing several hours diversion. I eagerly await your gear + tips as I am going to find a way to make a southerly trip happen.

Enjoy NZ and your further travels! I'm sure i'll keep reading if ya keep writing!

!
daveg

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hola che, amigos, when I ride the dream you guys are on the road riding the blue beast right next to the chili. Copper canyon, toroweep, alaska, 2007 hanging out in your backyardddddd!!

che pate

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For many, off the shelf bikes just won't cut it and a custom bike is the only way to go. For years, the idea of having a

custom bike was out of the range of most budgets and most custom motorcycle kits were poor quality. However with the rise

in interest in customized choppers, the custom motor cycle kit has become a great option for those who won't settle for

any thing but a custom bike but either can't afford a Jessie James or desire a more intimate connection with their bike.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years ago, it was difficult to find synthetic motor oils, and equally difficult to find someone who admitted to using them. Nowadays, however, you can find synthetic motor oils on the shelves of Wal-Mart, and other retailers, and the number of people turning to synthetic motor oils, particularly in light of the recent events affecting fuel prices, has risen greatly.

So why do people use synthetic motor oils rather than sticking with the old petroleum based stand-bys which are admittedly cheaper?

1. Let's start with the cost per quart issue. Synthetic motor oils ARE more expensive at purchase. However, these oils last longer, requiring fewer oil changes. As a synthetic motor oil outlasts several changes of petroleum based lubricants, the ultimate out-of-pocket cost of the lubricant is less. This cost savings becomes even greater if you have someone else change your oil for you rather than doing it yourself!

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how did we get from good job guys to oil!!

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years ago, it was difficult to find synthetic motor oils, and equally difficult to find someone who admitted to

using them. Nowadays, however, you can find synthetic motor oils on the shelves of Wal-Mart, and other retailers, and the

number of people turning to synthetic motor oils, particularly in light of the recent events affecting fuel prices, has

risen greatly.

So why do people use synthetic motor oils rather than sticking with the old petroleum based stand-bys which are

admittedly cheaper?

1. Let's start with the cost per quart issue. Synthetic motor oils ARE more expensive at purchase. However, these oils

last longer, requiring fewer oil changes. As a synthetic motor oil outlasts several changes of petroleum based

lubricants, the ultimate out-of-pocket cost of the lubricant is less. This cost savings becomes even greater if you have

someone else change your oil for you rather than doing it yourself!

6:02 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, nike air max, prada handbags, nike outlet, tiffany and co, burberry handbags, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, polo outlet, michael kors outlet online, ugg boots, kate spade outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, chanel handbags, prada outlet, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses wholesale, longchamp outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, replica watches, cheap oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ugg boots, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet online, uggs outlet, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin

9:30 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

barbour uk, ugg pas cher, doudoune moncler, coach outlet, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, vans, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, marc jacobs, canada goose outlet, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, canada goose, karen millen uk, moncler, hollister, doke gabbana, toms shoes, supra shoes, pandora charms, ugg uk, louis vuitton, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, hollister, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, links of london, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, moncler uk, converse outlet, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, barbour, canada goose jackets, ugg, moncler, converse, pandora uk, louis vuitton, moncler, replica watches, canada goose, swarovski, lancel, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban, gucci, ugg,uggs,uggs canada

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free site statistics